Monday, January 23, 2012

Year of the Dragon 2012

HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR! Today I brought the theme of the Dragon into my classes. With the Lunar New Year, 2012 is the year of the Water Dragon. The Year of the Water Dragon is said to be a year for great, deeds, innovative ideas and big projects. The year of the Dragon is also said to bring excitement, big ups and downs in our lives.

What makes the Dragon special is that unlike the other Chinese Zodiacs, some may view the Dragon as a mythical creature rather than an actual animal. What I found special about the Dragon is that it is a karmic animal, it is said to give happiness and success to all good and honest people.

So this year we should give love, share happy thoughts and love & happiness will return to us. Since the Dragon is a karmic animal, it returns positive energy which you give to others.

I felt that the ideas and meaning of the Year of the Dragon really tied in with the "yogi journey" because many yogis (myself included) sometimes focus on what their practice should look like or maybe worry that they are not advanced enough to try a certain pose, etc; when what we should be focusing on is the excitement of perhaps trying something new or even focusing on the present. It is said that in order to bring good fortune for the new year, on New Year's Day you should not focus on things of the past, but instead focus on the present. This is something you can definitely relate this into your yogi practice especially because the focus of your practice should always be in the present moment; not worrying about anything else.

Another special aspect of the Dragon is that it's viewed as the "free spirit" of the Zodiac. So if this year you are looking to try something new or maybe you have some impossible dream...maybe 2012 is the year to make it happen. If you would have asked me three years ago when I was still living in LA if I would have thought I would be teaching yoga in Chicago...I don't think I would have even dreamed of that happening. I may not have everything in life figured out, but I am okay with that and I do expect that with the year of the Dragon I'll experience excitement, big ups & big downs, but am happy and excited for what the new year has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment